Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Her Big Fat Filipino Wedding - Relationships - Weddings

Her Big Fat Filipino Wedding

Ok so I've been to a lot of big and memorable weddings in the past, but my best friend Jennalyn's wedding this past weekend in Carson,California was by far the most memorable! Other than the fact that it rained throughout the entire wedding, there was a guest list of 510 people! Yes, five hundred and ten people! And only about 50 of those people were from the groom's side! Is that insane or what? Ok to be fair, the groom Chris isn't Asian and he has a very small immediate and extended family. Even so, I remember the day Jennalyn told me how many guests she had sent invitations to and I laughed it off thinking that many people would decline the invitation. WRONG. There were only 4 no-shows and believe me it didn't show at all. I mean I love her like a sister, but what did she do invite everyone that she said hello to in her lifetime?!Haha! Yes, I know, most Filipino families and extended families are pretty big so a big wedding is a given, but 510 people?! I bet there's les s people living in some small cities in the U.S!

Alright to give you a good visual of what I'm talking about, let's just say that this wedding was so packed that there were 4 huge lechons just to feed all those hungry guests and even that didn't seem to quite be enough because there was barely anything left by the end! Jennalyn pretty much made my My Big Fat Greek Wedding look like a silly little house party! That's madness if you ask me! And even though the banquet hall was pretty big, there was barely any room to move, much less dance. And it didn't help that she had 8 bridesmaids, 8 ushers, 2 flower girls, 2 ring bearers, a best man, and a maid of honor, yes, yours truly. I'm surprised I was the only maid of honor! Even the hummer limo was a tight squeeze with all of us. I thought for sure something wild is going to happen at this wedding with all of these people. Surprisingly, everything went much smoother than I thought and Jennalyn seemed as calm as a cucumber. That makes one of us because I was a nervous wreck the whole time wondering with worry if everything would go as planned. The dance floor was so crowded that people were on the sidelines dancing near the cake and so I kept thinking that someone would have a little too much alchohol and accidently knock the cake over. Thankfully they didn't!

Despite all of the chaos,I have to admit that I had such an awesome time! First off, Jennalyn looked radiant in her gorgeous Oliver Tolentino couture gown and her husband to be, Chris looked more smitten with her than ever! They were both just happy in love that it kind of made me want to get married to! But the best moment was how wide Chris' his eyes got when they brought out the lechons. But hey if he is going to fit in with her big Filipino family he has to learn to get used to greasy and delicious heart attack foods like lechon. Not to my surprise, Chris grinned from ear to ear with anticipation at the meals that his new wife would be cooking for him. "Oh so that's why you're marrying a Filipina," I said jokingly. And with that I raised a toast to my best friend and her new husband and wished them the blessings of a happy marriage with many children!





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software